Thursday, May 27, 2010

The party's over.

Facebook is many things:
A way of reconnecting with old friends
An outlet for self expression
A huge waste of time, thank you Betty White

But one unexpected result of being on FB, you get to see what happened to that old boyfriend from high school/college.
If you ever had any lingering thoughts about the road not taken, well odds are that that road is now closed, bulldozed, demolished.
Some memories from the past are best left there.

I bring this up because SATC 2 opens today. (If you do not know what the initials stand for then I must ask you to leave my blog immediately.)

And the reviews ain't good.

Oh, I will see it. Definitely not on opening night, maybe I'll even wait until it's on Dish on demand.
After all, back in 1998 when we first met Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte, I too was a single gal in a big city looking for my Mr Big.
By the time it finished it's run in 2004 I was happily married, opening a business, and like Charlotte, trying to conceive.
But through the magic of TBS these four are still frozen in time, still searching for love, hitting the latest hotspots, and wearing the clothing that was half the reason we tuned in.

I always forgave Carrie for this:


Because I knew she would reward us with a stunner like this:




















I still cry when Carrie tells Aidan she cheated on him, even though I've seen her make this speech at least 10 times.
And I still feel her triumph when she magnificently walks away from Big outside the Plaza, his engagement party just ended.
What about "the new Yankee"?  Dandy Warhols playing in the background, she turns around at the bar and there's Big.
My favorite?  Fashion roadkill.
She gets up off the floor of the runway after falling on her face, and completes her stroll down the catwalk, high-fiving Heidi on the way back.

So thank you to TBS for letting me revisit my favorite episodes over and over.
But just like that old boyfriend who was gonna change the world and instead is changing tires at the local Jiffy Lube, sometimes it's best to not reacquaint ourselves with certain old friends from the past.
Let's remember these four the way they were in their prime, and not now, still partying long after the party has ended.


No comments:

Post a Comment