Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bootylicious

Back in 2002 my must have boots were a pair of gorgeous Charles David stilettos with a 4 inch heel and pointy toe and a $450 price tag. These boots were especially gorgeous sitting in my closet because on my feet they were pure unadulterated hell.
New Year's Eve 2002 found me hobbling around in my stocking feet outside in Chicago in the snow trying to catch a cab. Because I guarantee you, frostbite and possible amputation were no match for the pain caused by these instruments of Satan.

I learned two important lessons that New Year's Eve,
1) It doesn't matter how hot the boots are, if the only way you can wear them is sitting down, then those boots aren't made for walking.
2) Never pay full price for a pair of boots that you will be wearing in the winter in Chicago.
                                                            
My must have pair last year was the "Caroline" by Uggs. Now I know most of you hear “Uggs” and think “Ugh!” but just take a look at these sweet Carolines......





Definitely satisfying Rule 1, they are lined with fleece inside and have plenty of wiggle room for my toes.
They were listed at $300 on the Uggs website and so I started searching around to satisfy Rule 2.
After checking out Zappos, Nordstrom's, and a few other places, I found my pair on Ebay for $90.00.


My must have boot this winter is the Born Peri boot.




Super comfy, super cute and a super deal on shoeline.com. Regularly priced at $200, I got them on shoeline for $139 with an additional $20 off using their online coupon. Score!



3 comments:

  1. Great post, even if I'll never be able to wear anything but ankle booties here in the desert. I'm totally with you -- if they look fantastic in your closet and that's the only place they're comfortable, you've blown your boot budget for nothing. I love pretty much every shoe Born makes, and I'm especially impressed at your tightwaddery in getting these boots for 40% less than retail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but will they fit my calves! Unfortunately, I rarely buy boots on line because I have healthy calves. But, I did find a great shoe repair shop on the Southside that will insert little stretch pieces that will make any boot fit. I love Fernando's Shoe Repair at 102nd and Kedzie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Mary Anne said. My choice of boots is dictated by whether they'll fit around my calves. These look like they're not too high, which is good. I'm short, so I can't wear boots that are too long/tall. Oh to have Rhianna's calves!

    ReplyDelete